Sunday, February 6, 2011

First Mistake

One of the first things I wanted to see was how different types of media worked.  For a while YouTube has had the option of using HTML5 instead of flash so I though this was a good place to start.  I tried the VW video of the young Darth Vader.   The sound was a mix of crinkling paper and tinkling glass, not good.  I didn't get much time to think about it as my wife wanted to try the computer.  She tried the same video and it worked fine.

So being the amateur sleuth that I am I guessed that maybe one of the dozen extensions I used was the problem.  I had a few extensions that blocked Facebook data gathering and force HTTPS - they are watch you know - so I uninstalled them.  BAM, the video worked.  Well aren't I great.

So now I'm listening to olde fogy rock and playing with my new computer.  First time I hit the mute button the sound reverts to the paper and glass static.  So being the intrepid programmer that I am I try youtube again and when it doesn't work.  I file a bug report.  Haven't had the computer for two hours and I'm already earing my keep.

The next day I decide to see if I can now solve this problem.  A quick search showed this to be a know problem with the current version of the operating system.  Next time check to see if someone else has found the problem first.

On the plus side I've now found some very nice resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment